Protect your sensitive data
You do not want sensitive data to fall into unauthorized hands
If any of the following thoughts have crossed your mind, you should consider Data Secure:
- "I have just refreshed my test system. Is there a way I can still scramble the data?"
- "Is my sensitive data protected well enough to satisfy the auditors?"
- "Can anyone get access to sensitive data they can't see in production?"
- "Could we write a custom program to anonymize some records in our training system?"
Data Secure gives you complete control over all sensitive data
Data Secure is a comprehensive protection solution that comes with pre-defined masking rules. With these rules you can scramble any non-key field in any client-dependent SAP table in a number of different ways (e.g. mapping table look-up, constant value, clear a field). You can also extend these rules to cover your own particular security needs.
Data Secure enables your company to meet all well-known data protection standards such as Sarbanes Oxley, UK Data Protection Act and the BDSG (Bundesdatenschutzgesetz). Ask our EPI-USE Labs consultants to advise you on how to implement a data security policy across your non-production SAP landscape.
It's easy to mask an entire client, as the product handles large volumes of data – it was developed for basis teams to use for mass scrambling. You can use it separately or with our Client Sync product, to scramble data as you create the new client.
Data Secure benefits
- It's fast - optimised for mass processing
- It's ready - no development required, just select and go
- It's smart - all functional dependencies automatically taken care of
- It's flexible - customise any scrambling rule to suit your needs
- It's audit proof - provides demonstrable evidence to auditors that data protection is under control
- It's future proof - all scrambling rules will continue to work after applying support packs or upgrading the system
I've heard that DSM has more than one mechanism for scrambling data. Is this true?Yes, there are two "engines" that can scramble data. Each is designed for a different audience and a different purpose. Object Sync is for the business user and employs conversions to scramble selected data. Then there is Data Secure for use by the Basis team, whose mass scrambling affects an entire client. However, the underlying routines used to generate new values are shared across the products, so the anonymised data has a consistent look and feel.
So how do I know which one to use?The first consideration is volume: Data Secure scrambles everything in one go called a "Masking Run", whereas Object Sync is intended for smaller volumes. The second consideration is the extent of the scrambling: Object Sync affords the user greater flexibility and control.
Can Data Secure scramble data in a QA client that was not even created with DSM?Absolutely. Data Secure is an in-place solution, which means it can perform a mass operation on any client, regardless of how it was created. Data Secure has been optimised for high performance.
Is it possible to define custom rules in Data Secure?Yes. There is a custom user exit that interfaces with the Data Secure API to control how data should be masked. But the most common requirements can be carried out without any programming – you can choose from a variety of options, such as clearing a field, replacing with constant values, replacing with random values, etc.
How can we ensure that different users employ the same scrambling rules?Data Secure allows you to save a profile of selected masking options that can be re-used. This is vital for meeting audit and governance requirements.
Data Secure is part of EPI-USE Labs Data Sync Manager (DSM) product suite. It can function independently or together with other products in the DSM suite.